Founded in 2014, Opendoor's mission is to empower everyone with
the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process
is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end
customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple,
certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse
backgrounds to support the 85,000 customers who have selected us as
a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial
transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow
in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes
tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It
takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of
their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process
into a simple one.
So where do you fit in? Whether you're passionate about real
estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a
place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About the Team:
The Mortgage Loan Operations Teams strive to simplify loan
procedures and processes, provide superior services to the customer
and create long-term value by streamlining the origination process
and originating loans in a cost-effective manner.
These objectives are accomplished through the accurate
underwriting of loan documents within the company standards to
assure the borrower(s) receive the appropriate documents,
containing correct information on time for their scheduled closing.
Proper and timely setup of the account on our underwriting system
with complete and accurate information is essential to the
department's success. Mortgage pipelines must be monitored
systematically to ensure timely processing of all applications.
About the Role:
The Underwriting Manager is responsible for all aspects of the
daily operations within a Mortgage Underwriting Team. These
operations include, but are not limited to, evaluating the mortgage
loan application and documents provided by the customer in a timely
manner; research and review all investors updates as it pertains to
the underwriting guidelines, ensure that safe and sound
underwriting decisions are made by the team and, responding and
providing status information to all other internal interested
parties. The Underwriting Manager is responsible for work
distribution and oversight, pipeline management and adherence to
service level agreements.
As Underwriting Manager, you will:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the assigned Mortgage Loan
Underwriting Team to ensure team efficiency, accuracy and
- Proficient in all investor and company guidelines and familiar
with other Mortgage department responsibilities.
- Communicates, demonstrates and inspires others to incorporate
Opendoor's vision and core values in daily activities.
- Communicates underwriting guidelines changes and ensures
- Assist with renegotiation of loans base on credit
- Analyze and review financial statements, credit reports and
applicable ratios for escalated files.
- Assist Quality Control with audit responses.
- Underwrite complex loans, employee transactions and perform
second level reviews.
- Ensures adherence to policies, guidelines and procedures as
well as compliance regulations (HMDA,
- TILA, RESPA, HOEPA, FCRA and ECOA) and credit guidelines.
- Ensures achievement and maintenance of department performance
standards to keep loans flowing into appropriate loan operations
- Produces management reports associate with the loan origination
such as productivity reports, pipeline reports, trend reports and
- Coordinates with other Mortgage Loan Operations contacts to
ensure work distribution and pipeline manage provide optimal
service level agreements.
- Provides measurable standards of achievement for proper
management control and staff development.
- Consistently contributes to the ongoing Mortgage Loan
Operations efforts to deliver process efficiencies to reduce costs
and improve quality and productivity.
- Responsible for appropriate staffing of the team and for the
oversight of all associate related issues, performance reviews and
staff development within the team.
- Manage an underwriting staff of approximately 5-10 underwriter
- Direct the underwriting activities and manage performance for
underwriters and senior underwriters.
- Manages and/or participates in various operation projects.
We're looking for teammates who have:
- Self-starter with the ability to plan and prioritize workload
for self and others
- Strong analytical skills and decision-making ability to make
lending decisions and translate guidelines
- Ability to work independently and as a team; ability to garner
support and collaborate with others
- Ability to motivate and manage a team of underwriters
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills to manage staff and multiple
priorities; and meet deadlines in a fast paced work
- Ability to work collaboratively and supportively with
management to achieve business objectives
- Thorough understanding of Conventional (Fannie Mae, Freddie
Mac) and Government (FHA VA)
- VA/LAPP FHA DE preferred
- Five (5) years of Conventional Underwriting experience
- Two (2) years of management/leadership experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience from which
comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
- High school or G.E.D. equivalent required
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the
home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our
website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our
culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about
the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Your choice of coverage for medical, dental, and vision
(optional for dependents)
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter benefit
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to
Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that
being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better.
Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without
regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex,
marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran
status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected
status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.