What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest
strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in
the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our
competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do
business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are
looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live
the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from
Great opportunity to expand your career in the exciting world of
Catastrophe Management! Our top candidate will be currently working
in a P&C or re/insurance company in the CAT Management
department - seeking their next move into a Senior level or Lead
The primary purpose of this position is to provide catastrophe
management services to maximize the profitable growth of Markel's
catastrophe exposed product lines. This includes supervising
portfolio risk roll-up and analyzing changes in corporate
catastrophe exposure and loss statistics to differentiate between
profitable and unprofitable segments. This position will
collaborate with both internal and external customers to
communicate catastrophe management results, concepts and potential
issues. This position will provide guidance, instruction, and
direction to the Catastrophe department for the purpose of
achieving functional goals and objectives.
Preferred locations are Richmond, VA, or Rosemont, IL. Open to
remote work with the right background and skill sets.
- Allocate resources appropriately.
- Supervise portfolio risk roll-up over a wide variety of
products, analyze and validate results.
- Relate mathematical catastrophe models to the real world and
provide guidance to senior management that translates results to
- Provide and communicate catastrophe loss and exposure estimates
and related reporting to internal and external customers in a
- Support the presentation of results of our catastrophe exposure
and loss analyses in the Quarterly Catastrophe Management Report
and ad hoc meetings.
- Collaborate with underwriters, Product Line Leadership (PLL)
and management to support and sustain profitable organizational
growth by providing effective catastrophe analysis that identifies
profitable areas to target and highlights unprofitable areas as
well as monitoring key catastrophe statistics and advising
management of possible issues.
- Utilize available data to effectively apportion catastrophe
capacity and access existing products to determine if they add
profitable growth to the organization.
- Evaluate new business opportunities and potential acquisitions
providing input to senior management.
- Collaborate regularly with related departments, including
Actuarial, Risk Management, Reinsurance Administration and Regional
Catastrophe Departments, to increase efficiency and achieve
objectives through open communication.
- Proactively share knowledge in related areas, fostering
collaboration both internal and external to the department.
- Provide career planning and performance feedback to ensure
proper staff development by coaching, motivating and building bench
- Communicate effectively and ensure team has been adequately
updated on matters relating to workflow or procedural changes.
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in a related quantitative
General Skill Set
- Thorough experience utilizing MS Excel to analyze data and
present information in a user-friendly format
- Ability to apply and interpret advanced mathematical,
economical, and statistical concepts
- Creative problem solver who is detail-oriented and possesses
exceptional organization and analytical skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and
consistently meet deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to maintain working relationships with other
departments and function in an unstructured environment
- Open and enthusiastic to learning new software and exploring
new and different ways of analyzing catastrophe risk
Specialized Skill Set
- 7+ years of work experience as a catastrophe modeler/analyst or
in a related position within the insurance/reinsurance field with
knowledge of commercial catastrophe models (RMS/AIR) and data
management tools is preferred
- Experience with simulation tools such as MetaRisk, ReMetrica or
- Candidates with exposure to cyber risk modeling will be at the
top of the list
- Strong experience with SQL Query is a plus, as is
intermediate/advanced knowledge of VBA
- Professional programming experience would be a strong plus
Must be authorized to work in the U.S., and not require
sponsorship now or in the future.
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that
diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing
people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation.
We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate
around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the
world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back
is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this
philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our
open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as
they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and
global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the
Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation
between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a
better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates
proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further
success to Markel.