Decision Science Analyst Lead - Data Management
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Decision Science Analyst Lead for either
our San Antonio Home Office, Plano Campus, Phoenix Campus,
Charlotte Campus, Colorado Springs Campus, Tampa Campus, or person
may also work in a remote work environment is available.
Provide decision support for business areas across the enterprise.
Staff in this area will be responsible for applying mathematical
and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative
analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to
action' recommendations to answer business objectives and drive
change. The essence of work performed by the Decision Science
Analyst involves gathering, manipulating and synthesizing data
(e.g., attributes, transactions, behaviors, etc.), models and other
relevant information to draw conclusions and make recommendations
resulting in implementable strategies.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial
security of millions of U.S. military members and their families.
This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking
at every level.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and
procedures for business activities.
- Leverages expert business, analytical and technical knowledge
to lead discussions with cross functional teams to understand and
collaborate highly complex business objectives and influence
- Applies advanced analytical techniques to solve business
problems that are typically large scale with significant impact to
current and/or future business strategy.
- Organizes and oversees the development of
requirements/resources necessary to meet established
- Applies innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical
approaches to draw conclusions and make recommendations to answer
the business objective and drive the appropriate change.
- Translates recommendation into communication materials to
effectively present to all levels of management.
- Incorporates visualization techniques to support the relevant
points of the analysis and ease the understanding for less
- Identifies and gathers the relevant and quality data sources
required to fully answer and address the problem for the
recommended strategy through testing or exploratory data analysis
- Integrates/transforms disparate data sources and determines the
appropriate data hygiene techniques to apply.
- Thoroughly documents assumptions, methodology, validation and
testing to facilitate peer reviews and compliance
- Monitors, understands and adopts emerging technology that can
affect the application of scientific methodologies and/or
quantitative analytical approaches to problem resolutions.
- Succinctly delivers complex analysis/findings in a manner that
conveys understanding, influences senior executives, garners
support for recommendations, drives business decisions, and
influences business strategy.
- Provides subject matter expertise in operationalizing
- Researches and pursues the latest and/or industry leading
practices in data and analytics, (Ex: Cloud, Data Mining, Python,
Neural Networks, Sensor data, IoT, Streaming/NRT data) to advance
the overall DSA community knowledge.
- Identifies opportunities to continue to learn in the data and
analytics space, whether informal (E.g., Coursera, Udemy, Kaggle,
Code Up, etc) or formal (E.g. Certifications or advanced
- Innovates to create new and emerging data sets, and
incorporation (data wrangling, data munging) into new insights When
you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some
initial questions. Once you begin the questions you will not be
able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to
change your responses.
- Bachelor's degree in quantitative analytics field such as
Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences,
Operations Research, Data and/or Business Analysis, Data Science or
other quantitative discipline is required; OR 4 years of related
statistics, mathematics or quantitative analytics or related
experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience
required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 8 years of data & analytics experience; OR 6 years of data &
analytics experience and up to 2 years of progressive functional
business relevant experience within the respective industry of
responsibility (i.e. P&C, Bank, Finance, Marketing etc.) for a
total of 8 years combined experience; OR Advanced degree in
quantitative analytics field such as Economics, Finance,
Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, Operations Research,
Data and/or Business Analysis, Data Science or other quantitative
discipline and 6 years of experience in data/analytics or
functional business experience within the respective industry of
responsibility (i.e. P&C, Bank, Finance, Marketing, etc.).
- 3 years of direct and/or indirect management experience.
- Demonstrates expert skills in mathematical and statistical
techniques and approaches used to drive fact-based
- Expert knowledge of data analysis tools, data visualization,
developing analysis queries and procedures in SQL, SAS, BI tools or
other analysis software, and relevant industry data & methods and
ability to connect external insights to business problems.
- Strong technical acumen and demonstrated ability developing,
implementing, and leading Data & Analytics strategies requiring
oversight and partnership with cross-functional teams.
- Strong leadership presence and extensive experience partnering
with and presenting to Executive leadership. Demonstrated ability
to craft a message at the appropriate level, influence and gain
- 4+ years hands on development experience with Python in a
professional setting for process automation and advanced analytical
- 4+ years hands on development experience with Tableau or
equivalent application for Business Intelligence.
- 5+ years hands on development experience and expert knowledge
working with a variety of data platforms (Snowflake, Salesforce,
Hadoop, Oracle) and tools / techniques (API, Virtualization) to
extract and synthesize data into meaningful and actionable
- 3+ years leadership experience training and mentoring junior
level analyst to develop skillsets in data extraction, manipulation
and analytical techniques and tools (SQL, Python, Tableau).
- Six-Sigma certification or equivalent experience in process
engineering with a demonstrated ability operating within framework
in the development of business strategies and the improvement /
optimization of processes.
- Basic understanding of best practices and concepts for Data
Management (Data Quality, Data Governance, Data Modeling, Data
Architecture). The above description reflects the details
considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job
and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the
work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and
establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid
within the salary range based on your experience and market
position. The salary range for this position is: $106,800 -
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall
corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the
USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential : Geographic pay differential is
additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations
where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for
applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their
physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include
comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension,
life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time
off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and
various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning
and continuing education assists employees with their professional
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: USAA, Plano , Decision Science Analyst Lead - Data Management, Executive , Plano, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!