Director, Business Risk and Controls
Posted on: May 13, 2022
Purpose of JobThis position is considered a Hybrid work location
- includes both work from home and in office at one of these three
locations: San Antonio, Plano, or Charlotte Oversees a team
responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of
programs that support effective risk and compliance management in
the first line of defense. Supports business leader adherence to
the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business
controls and is accountable for the development and mentoring of a
high performing team responsible for risk and control
self-assessments, identifying control failures, facilitating risk
and compliance remediation, internal and external audits and
regulatory exams, and monitoring the of first line of defense in an
effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall
control environment.Job RequirementsAbout USAAUSAA knows what it
means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of
U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission
requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.Tasks
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for
- Directs staff and initiatives that support risk and control
management programs, to include governance support, risk oversight,
risk infrastructure development, risk identification,
quantification, aggregation, and emerging risks.
- Advises senior management and influences process change.
- Builds and manages a high performing team of risk and internal
control professionals through recruitment, training, coaching,
performance management and related managerial activities.
- Manages consulting relationships with internal and external
clients regarding budget and implementation deliverables and risk
mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the
identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls,
including risks associated with new or modified products, services,
distribution channels, regulations and/or third-party
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of
governance policies and procedures in partnership with senior
leaders to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best
practices and regulatory requirements.
- Provides counsel to business unit managers on risk management
issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on
their impact to USAA's risk profile.
- Educates risk owners on risk/control best practices and may
work with other lines of defense in the development and
implementation of controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal
loss data from business areas.
- Directs analysis and data mining initiatives that identify,
validate, and manage emerging risk exposures, as necessary.
- Assists in the early identification of risk trends by
establishing and monitoring key performance and risk
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and
may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory
bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.Minimum Education and
- Bachelor's Degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance or
related field of study.
- 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum
required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related
activities in a financial services operating environment or other
- Or 8 years of experience in a relevant quantitative
- Or advanced degree or designation in a risk management or
quantitative discipline, and 6 years of experience supporting risk
and/or compliance related activities.
- Or PhD in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 4
years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related
- 3 years of direct team lead or people management
- Experience working in fast paced, high expectation
- Proven history of successfully navigating highly matrixed
- Financial Industry specific Third Party, Risk or Compliance
- Regulation W experience.
- Experience with sourcing and procurement functions supporting
third party contract negotiations.
- Experience effectively describing risk programs and frameworks
to all lines of defense and regulators.
- Motivation toward action and execution.When you apply for this
position, you will be required to answer some initial questions.
This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the
questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and
you will not be able to change your responses.Compensation:USAA has
an effective process for assessing market data and establishing
ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the
salary range based on your experience and market position. The
salary range for this position is: $106,800 - $192,300.Employees
may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and
individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of
Directors. Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential
is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in
locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for
applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core
hours. Please click on the link below for more details.USAA Total
RewardsRelocation assistance is not available for this
Keywords: USAA, Plano , Director, Business Risk and Controls, Executive , Plano, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!