Data Engineer I
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Purpose of JobWe are seeking a talented Data Engineer I for our
San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, or Phoenix, AZ facilities. This person
may also work remotely in a 100% remote work environment.
USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have
found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both
worlds - collaborating in-person in the office and working from
home when needed to achieve focused deliverables. The actual days
onsite are determined between each employee and the employee 's
Data Engineers (DEs) are engaged in all phases of the data
management lifecycle. This includes gathering and analyzing
requirements, collecting, processing, storing, securing, and
archiving data. Develop and maintain technical systems for data
reporting and technical solutions utilizing emerging technologies.
Partner with the business to ensure data management solutions
aligned to business objectives.
As a Data Engineer you will be responsible for developing and
maintaining data processing pipelines and work with multi
technology tools. This individual will work closely with USAA
P&C Products, several application development, testing and info
governance teams. The candidate should be willing to learn new
technologies and upskill as required. He/she will be primarily
responsible for analyzing different data streams, engineer data
exports and imports, build ETL ELT streams, support various data
modernization needs including end to end support for all data
migrations and enhancements.Job RequirementsAbout USAAUSAA knows
what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of
millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular
mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every
level.ABOUT USAA ITOur most important qualification isn't
technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a
screen. We stand behind our 12 million members who rely on us every
day.We are over 5,000 employees strong, -a passionately supportive
and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a
top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a
row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority
Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine. -PRIMARY
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled. -
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for
- Independently conducts work on the full life cycle of data
engineering to include analysis, solution design, data pipeline
engineering, testing, deployment, scheduling, and production
- Design and implement complex technical solutions for data
engineering and analytic systems.
- Identify and solve significant technical problems and
architecture deficiencies to include design, security, and
- Collaborate on design reviews by providing feedback on trends
and make recommendations for solutions.
- Breakdown business features and into technical stories and
approaches. - Influences stakeholders in technical adoption for
- Analyze data, identify trends, and makes innovative
recommendations that enable machine learning.
- Create proof of concepts and prototypes that drive the vision
and the outcome for complex initiatives to be delivered.
- Collaborate with the team and other engineers on new
technologies and alternatives to plan and execute complex
assignments and tasks.
- Help on-board entry level engineers. - May begin mentoring
- Acquire data from multiple data sources and maintain resulting
databases, data warehouses, and/or data lakes.
- Assists to develop, maintain, and enforce the company 's data
development tools and standards. Conduct code reviews on a regular
basis to improve quality and ensure compliance.MINIMUM
REQUIREMENTS: - -
- Bachelor 's Degree or 4 additional years of experience beyond
the minimum requirement can be used in lieu of a degree.
- Approved certification from an approved academy in one of the
following fields: Web Development, Data Science, Cyber Cloud,
Systems Engineering or Software Engineering.
- 4 years of data engineering, data analysis or software
development experience implementing data solutions with at least 1
year of data engineering or data management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience in SQL and
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.When you apply for
this position, you will be required to answer some initial
questions. - This will take approximately 5 minutes. - Once you
begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later
time and you will not be able to change your responses.PREFERRED
- 6+ years ' experience developing, deploying, and supporting
high-quality, fault-tolerant data pipelines (leveraging
distributed, data movement technologies and approaches, including
but not limited to ETL and streaming ingestion and processing)
- 2 or more years ' experience utilizing Linux scripting (Python,
- 4 or more years ' experience in SQL development and/or NoSQL
- 1 or more years ' experience with cloud-based data offerings
(Amazon AWS, Redshift, Snowflake, Google GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Follow best practices on design and implementation to aid in
company-wide data governance
- Experience with ETL Tools (Informatica, DataStage, Data Build
- Prior knowledge/experience in USAA data environments
- Design, build, and deploy new data pipelines within
Informatica, DBT, Snowflake, Guidewire environments.
- Improve existing data pipelines by simplifying and increasing
- 2 or more years of experience working with Agile Development
- The above description reflects the details considered necessary
to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be
construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements
that may be performed in the jobThe above description reflects the
details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of
the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of
all the work requirements that may be performed in the
job.Compensation:USAA has an effective process for assessing market
data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You
are paid within the salary range based on your experience and
market position. The salary range for this position is: $88,200-
-$158,900* (this does not include geographic differential it may be
applied based on your work location)Employees may be eligible for
pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual
performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is
additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations
where market pay levels are above the national average. - Shift
premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable
roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours. -
-Benefits: -At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to
support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. - These
benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans,
401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption
assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid
volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. - Additionally, our
career path planning and continuing education assists employees
with their professional goals. Please click on the link below for
more details.Relocation assistance is Not Available for this
Keywords: USAA, Plano , Data Engineer I, Engineering , Plano, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!